RE: Gradient syntax proposal

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:11:00 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
| I'm still not sure how you're justifying gradients being the same as
| colors.  They're not, in any way, as I, Brad, and several others in
| other circumstances have said.  They're an image.

Consensus can be illogical. There are many cases where application of both background linear-gradient and background-image would be useful; there are none where background-color and linear-gradient would need to apply simultaneously. Logically, then, linear-gradient is more akin to color than image. Equating gradient with image lessens its usefulness.

David Perrell