Re: Shadows vs. layout

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:05:28 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:12 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM, David Hyatt<hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>> Here's another idea that just occurred to me.  We could say that
>> shadows,
>> outlines, etc. can never cause a scrolling mechanism to appear, but
>> just
>> leave it at that.
>>
>> In other words you never let the shadows cause scrollbars to be
>> created (or
>> destroyed), but if scrollbars happen to already be there (because
>> of some
>> other overflow), then you can safely include the visual overflow as
>> part of
>> the scrolling area.
>
> To be honest, that's what I thought we were asking for.  I'm pretty
> sure it's what I intended to ask for, at least.
>
> What's the difference between this and what you thought was being
> proposed before?

The difference is that it would still muck with the design by widening
and/or deepening the page beyond the where everything else on the page
is racked into. So if there was a scrollbar due to content not
fitting, the user wouldn't stop at the natural page limits when they
scrolled down and/or right.