Re: Shadows vs. layout

From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:15:10 +0100
On 4 Aug 2009, at 22:07, David Hyatt wrote:

> Here's another idea that just occurred to me.  We could say that
> shadows, outlines, etc. can never cause a scrolling mechanism to
> appear, but just leave it at that.
>
> In other words you never let the shadows cause scrollbars to be
> created (or destroyed), but if scrollbars happen to already be there
> (because of some other overflow), then you can safely include the
> visual overflow as part of the scrolling area.

So IOW the shadows (etc) could add to the total range of a scrollbar,
provided the scrollbar would have existed anyway? That still leads to
undesired visual effects in the case of dynamically-changing shadows,
as the size and/or position of the scrollbar thumb is likely to jump
around as the exact size of the overflow changes.

JK