Re: [css3-page] page counters and scope

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:40:23 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
fantasai wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> This discussion reminded me one problem I wanted to ask while ago.
>>
>> Are there any plans to support not only counters() but some
>> other accumulators, for example "total of the page" kind of things?
>>
>> Sort of:
>>
>> @media printer
>> {
>>   td.total { content: page-sum-of( $(td.row-total):value ); }
>> }
>>
>> with the markup:
>>
>> <tfoot>
>> </tfoot>
>>
>> Or is this too much?
>
> I think spreadsheet-like calculations are out-of-scope for CSS.

I haven't heard about any spreadsheet application capable to do
"totals-of-the-page".

> However, there are some proposals for more functionality from
> counters, e.g. the target-counter() function
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#cross-references
> and I think there was one for a last-count() or max-count()
> function to grab the highest counter value.
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Oct/0103.html

I do not understand how sum() is in principle different from count().
First one is a += b; and second is a += 1;

The problem is that printing is not that media where JS even exists.

Anyway thanks.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com