Re: [css3-transitions] Concerns about DOM Event interfaces being part of CSS-family specification

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:45:30 +1000
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: castonet@yahoo.co.uk
Hi,

On 01/04/2009, at 9:31 PM, Sergey Ilinsky wrote:

> I have concerns about DOM Event interfaces defined in the "CSS
> Transitions Module Level 3" that is to become part of the CSS family
> standards. Knowing in rough details the architecture of the web
> technologies I think a CSS specification should not host any DOM
> events, since, for example, this dependency cannot be satisfied in
> case when a User Agent doesn't support DOM events (that I believe is
> not necessary). This also tightens the separated concerns of DOM,
> XML and CSS in a unprecedented way.
>
> Or, maybe I am mislead, and the specification in question and it is
> actually not considered as part of CSS family?

You raise a good point. This is something we hesitated to add for the
same reasons you describe - that the page should work without support
for the events.

However, the problem is that they are extremely useful, and make
developing some forms of effects much easier.

It would be nice if they could be separated from the CSS part of the
specification.

Dean