Re: [css3-values] Unit normalization and types

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:43:31 +0200
To: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
CC: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
David Woolley wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>

>> Actually, most implementations (if not at all at this point) for full
>> page zoom do so in a way that does not create the need for horizontal
>> scrolling.
>
> That sounds like Firefox's font enlarge facility, not a whole page zoom.
>  That, and their minimum font size option, do break when people use
> absolute units.  For example, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/. This one was even
> worse when they were doing a usability survey, as simply overriding
> designer font sizes on IE's Accesibility dialogue pushed the links
> outside of their overflow none popup, so I couldn't complain about the
> messed up layout without restoring the smaller than default fonts.

Indeed, but the loss of functionality arose through idiotic use of
overflow:none rather than through the use of absolute units. Using
overflow:auto instead would have been more appropriate, and would still
result in a block formatting context (if that was the author's
intention, explicitly or otherwise).  The issue then comes back to the
desirability of scrolling.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net