Re: [css21][css3-selectors] case-insensitive attribute values

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:33:23 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any chance I could convince implementors to
> remove the magic list of attribute names whose values are matched again
> in an ASCII case-insensitive way when the style sheet is associated with
> an HTML document. The list mainly consists of obsolete presentational
> attributes though every time we'd add a new attribute to HTML it would
> have to be added here too (e.g. contenteditable, spellcheck, required,
> etc.) and would have to be tested, et cetera, while there is no real
> benefit for developers.
>
> Also we allow other languages to be embedded in HTML documents these
> days through the DOM and in the future MathML and SVG can be embedded
> through syntax as well. This increases the chance that one of the ASCII
> case-insensitive HTML attributes will clash with a case-sensitive
> attribute there though the latter will still be matched in an ASCII
> case-insensitive way.
>
> Internet Explorer 6 and 7 always did case-sensitive matching here so it
> seems the risk of changing is still small.

Two additional points:

   1. This would make HTML and XHTML more consistent.
   2. IE6 didn't do attribute selectors at all. Oops!

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/