Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Sunday 2009-03-29 00:40 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
> I written up a proposal that I think solves this problem, plus a couple
> others that I think are even bigger for authors. I'd appreciate it if
> everyone could take a look and let me know what you think. In the
> following link, I describe three problems (including this one), and a
> nice solution that I would love to see implemented:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/Thinking_Outside_The_Box.html

I think I like this proposal, except the piece I'm not sure about is
the outside-the-border images part (the additional syntax that goes
after the second slash).  I'm not sure how important that
requirement is relative to the implentation costs of the extra piece
of syntax and handling another case that can cause pieces of an
element to appear outside the element's border box.  (Or, to put it
another way, is the desire for things that stick out really specific
to border-image, or is it just a general issue that ought to be
solved by negative margins?)

I presume that if the part after the first slash is omitted, the
border image slices would still be resized as they are now to fit
the 'border-width' property?

-David