RE: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:34:27 +0200
To: "'Andrew Fedoniouk'" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Mike Wilson wrote:
> > Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> >> We've found that natural constants first-seen-first-used approach
> >> works just well. For example:
> >
> > You suggested the same thing back in June and it was discussed here:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jun/0351.html
> >
> > and I agree with the other posters at that time that it would be
> > confusing to have "first rule overrides later rules" for
> > variables/constants when the rest of CSS uses "last rule overrides
> > earlier rules".
>
> Beg my pardon but that "last rule overrides earlier rules" of
> yours is simply not correct in terms of CSS.
>
> You can put very specific rule upfront that will not be overwritten
> by later rules.

Of course Andrew, but please, I think we all here are very well
acquainted with specificity and the cascade so no use stating the
obvious. I will do you that favor too. Of course I'm talking about
rules with identical selector clauses.

> Consider very first @const with the same name as having largest
> possible specificity. That is it. Authors already familiar with
> the concept.

They may very well be familiar with this from other programming
languages but this is still a new thing for CSS. Specificity has
never before been dependent upon the CSS clause's position in the
document.

Mike