Re: [css3-color] ICC implementation

On Aug 31, 2008, at 8:47 AM, David Woolley wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> This is precisely why photographers are encouraged to "expose
>> right" meaning to the right side of a histogram, which are quarter
>> tones and highlights. It is preferable to correct in post-
>> processing what appears to be a slightly overexposed images. This
>> results in a higher quality capture.
>
> In any system with quantisation, or other noise, I would have
> thought it was self evident that one should maximise the use of the
> dynamic range.  However, my experience is that digital media
> tolerate over-exposure very badly.

I did state "what appears to be" not actually overexposed. A correctly
exposed image on a digital camera is more exposed than if you were
shooting chrome, but probably not as much as if you were shooting
negative.

>  That I think is also self evident, as over-exposed values are hard
> clipped, whereas underexposure simply results in increased noise.
> That isn't to say that quantisation noise isn't a problem with
> typical 8 bit storage formats.  In my experience, for amateur use,
> one, or even half a, stop over is unacceptable, whereas two stops
> under is still usable. (Most scenes have some small highlights that
> can reasonably be clipped, of course.)

And you're determining correct exposure with a light meter? Or you're
determining this 1/2 stop over, and 2 stop under anecdote with the
camera metering itself? What is this camera and how old is it?

It could also be that your camera's in-camera JPEG is adept at
resurrecting dark images, and sucks really badly at dealing with
slightly overexposed data. If it were possible to access the Raw data
from such a capture, assuming the scene was metered and correct
exposure determined, almost every time I would take 1/2 stop over than
2 stops under because there are simply more bits for tools to recover
highlight data than shadow detail.

Chris Murphy