Re: [css3-gcpm] [css3-page] Named page lists

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:52:09 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, www-style@w3.org

Also sprach fantasai:

 > > Should the value of "page" be different in each repetition of a
 > > fixed-pos element?
 > >
 > > If so, can the values of other counters also vary across repetitions?
 >
 > The 'page' counter is not available in the document context, only within
 > the margin boxes.
 >
 >    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#page-based-counters

GCPM introduces target-counter() which fetches the value of a counter
at the end of a link. For example:

  a::after { content: "(see page " target-counter(attr(href, url), page, decimal) ")" }

In order to support this construct, all elements must have some notion
of which page it's on. I suggest making the 'page' counter magic to
achieve this goal. That is -- to answer Robert's question -- yes, the
value of "page" is different in each repetition of a fixed-pos
element.

-h&kon