RE: [CSS21] Collapsing Margins

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:22:56 -0700
To: 'Boris Zbarsky' <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

What I mean to say there is that the meaning of margin is to define the distance between elements.

Consider this:
        <C>
                <A/>
        </C>
        <B/>

If element A has bottom margin of 80px, it would normally mean that it will be at least that far from element B that follows. That may change A has a parent C with certain properties. Specified 'height' on C clearly can reduce this distance, as can 'max-height'. However having 'min-height' reduce overall size of layout seems odd.