RE: [CSS21] Collapsing Margins

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:26:36 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com>, Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Actually no, I'll have to take that back. IE8 is correct

Have you changed the test recently? It seems the red moved since this thread started, so I have attached a copy for reference (with red being where I expect it to be -- at 100px).

The expected behavior is as follows

* "outer" has min-height of 21px
* "inner" is 20px tall, therefore "outer" would be at most 20px tall if not for min-height, which means "inner" bottom margin doesn't collapse with "outer" bottom margin
* Since "inner" bottom margin doesn't collapse with the parent, it contributes to the height of the parent
* "outer" height therefore must be 100px
* "green" div then is positioned at 100px

Firefox doesn't include "inner" bottom margin into "outer" height.
Opera and Safari are 1 pixel off. Not sure why.
IE8 has correct layout.