[css2.1 paged media] percent page margins

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:09:57 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Unlike regular box model, percentage values of page margins are not from width but from the direction of margin (width for left/right and height for top/bottom).

I realize this is too late to change, there must be implementations with this definition (are there?)... but am just curious why this has to be inconsistent with box model elsewhere? I am not sure I see use cases that are strong enough to make it different...

Or is it perhaps designed to produce same computed margins on portrait and landscape pages?