Re: [1.2T-LC] Inheritance of display-align

From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:24:34 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:29:56 +0100, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Hello SVGWG,
>
> Wrt http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#DisplayAlignProperty
>
> The CSS Working Group has been discussing a property that does exactly
> what's described in the SVG draft here (and also has an 'auto' initial
> value), but we would need the property to not inherit.

It is useful for it to inherit in certain scenarios, such as when you have a number of 'textArea' elements that you want to have the same alignment on. This may be more of a problem for SVG 1.2 Tiny since it doesn't mandate support for CSS stylesheets and CSS selectors.

Please elaborate on why the CSSWG thinks the property should not inherit.

> Also, we've heard feedback that "before" and "after" are easily confused
> with "start" and "end". Not sure what to do about that.
>
> The CSSWG hasn't discussed SVG's display-align yet (I only just noticed
> its existence on my way home from TPAC), but I think it would be a good
> idea for us to do a little coordination here.

Coordination sounds good to me, although the SVG WG hasn't discussed it either yet.

Just curious, what CSS module wants to include this functionality?

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group