Re: [css3-gcpm] border-length

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:44:55 +0100
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, www-style@w3.org

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Answering my own request, how about a property that list visible
> and invisible lengths, starting with a visible length. For example:
>
>   border-parts: 1em auto 2em
>
> would split the border into three parts: (1) a visible 1em part, (2)
> an invisible part which fills the remaning room until (3) a visible
> 2em part appears.

[...]

> If more than one 'auto' value is specified, it's split equally between
> the two parts:
>
>   border-parts: 1em auto 2em auto 2em

Knuth found it desirable to have different degrees of
infinite glue, as well as the ability to have varying
amounts of infinite glue of the same degree of
infiniteness, as in :

	\hskip 0 pt plus 1 fil
	\hskip 0 pt plus 2 fil
	\hskip 0 pt plus 1 fill
	\hskip 0 pt plus 2 fill
	\hskip 0 pt plus 1 filll
	\hskip 0 pt plus 2 filll

as well as negative infinite glue :

	\hskip 0 pt plus -1 fil

Is there any possibility that CSS might benefit
from similar degrees of freedom ?

Philip TAYLOR