[css3-gcpm] border-length

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:07:48 +0200
To: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Håkon Wium Lie:

 > Now, there may be better or more powerful methods to express this. At
 > the recent F2F it was requested that we find a way to express the
 > "inverse" of border-length, where corners are hidden, but lines
 > between them are visible.
 >
 > Proposals for how to address this is welcome; this is a fairly immature
 > part of the specification.

Answering my own request, how about a property that list visible
and invisible lengths, starting with a visible length. For example:

  border-parts: 1em auto 2em

would split the border into three parts: (1) a visible 1em part, (2)
an invisible part which fills the remaning room until (3) a visible
2em part appears.

The inverse border would be:

  border-parts: 0 1em auto 2em

That is, the first part is visible, but since it has a 0 length, it
doesn't show.

The initial value would be:

  border-parts: auto

If more than one 'auto' value is specified, it's split equally between
the two parts:

  border-parts: 1em auto 2em auto 2em

It probably makes sense to have 'border-parts' as a shorthand property
for these:

  border-parts-top
  border-parts-right
  border-parts-bottom
  border-parts-left

To set the commonly used short border over the footnote area, one
would say:

  @footnote {
     border-top: thin solid black;
     border-length: 3em;
  }

To make the border appear on the right side, you would say:

  @footnote {
     border-right: thin solid black;
     border-length: 3em;
  }

This idea feels better to me than the 'border-length' proposal:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/Overview.html#the-border-length

-h&kon