[css3-values] cap-height unit?

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:21:13 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Would it be useful to add a unit representing the height of capitals
in the current font?  This would be similar to the 'ex' unit (which
is roughly the height of lowercase letters and corresponds to the
font's x-height metric), but would instead correspond to the
cap-height metric in the font.

It seems like it could be useful when sizing images to fit within a
line of text, and it further seems like the implementation could
share a lot of code with the implementation of the 'ex' unit.

(I thought of this because I just noticed a few stubs of future
plans to implement such a unit in Mozilla.  The implementor there
thought it could be called a 'cap', but I don't have strong opinions
on naming.)

-David