Effect of 'position:relative' on 'table-*' display values

From: James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:36:49 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

The current spec states that:-

"The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-
group, table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-
column, table-cell, and table-caption elements is undefined." - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#positioning-scheme

Has there been talk of a resolution for this issue? What with the
arrival of IE8 (which supports all these values), there's currently a
lot of talk around about authors realistically being able to use these
values for their layouts. However, I do believe without clarification
this issue is going to limit the use of the 'table-*' values somewhat.
FYI, FF3, Opera and Safari all ignore 'position:relative' in the
aforementioned context.

I may have missed the relevant thread (I did carry out a search prior
to this) which discussed this issue, in which case I apologize for
bringing this subject up again.

James