Re: [CSSWG] Your opinion needed : Position of list-item markers

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper.comcast@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:59:32 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Wednesday 2008-11-26 17:50 -0600, Tab Atkins wrote:

  in the case of <center>, though, I'll still argue that, from a

> design standpoint, having the markers move to the left edge isn't
> horrifying.  As well, as I said before, the visual changes resulting
> from the trivial fix (moving the marker inside) aren't significant
> when the text is centered.

I completely agree. Going the other way, and not being able to do
something like line numbers on the lefy with centered text (for poetry
analysis, let's say)would be worse from a design perspective.

> In the worse case - an author with absolutely *no* CSS knowledge -
> since they obviously don't care about semantics anyway (they're using
> <center>, after all) they can just paste a bullet character directly
> into the text.  (This is relatively common anyway - the "designers"
> before me at my company consistently implemented <ul>s with a
> two-column table, e.g.
> nightmares.)

I'm sorry, man. It was the 90s. I didn't know any better back
then.   ;-)