Dave Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> At 20:14  -0500 13/11/08, Grey Hodge wrote:
> >>  No, it's really not.  You have to go out of your way to find that
> >>  software and use it.
> >No one in the year 2008 thinks "search Google" is going out of their
> >way.
>
> You are under the powerful illusion that everyone is like you,
> willing to search the net [...]

You don't have to search the net.  You don't even have to have
deliberately installed anything on your computer.  Please see the other
message I just sent for details.

> To claim that the CSS is 'completely and totally ineffectual' you'd
> have to show that there would be, and have been, no difference at all
> in the piracy rates if it did not and had not existed.

I claim that the existence of CSS *increases* the piracy rate overall
(again, see my other message).  But I think the much more relevant
point for purpose of this conversation is ...

> saying that just because people can walk through or jump over garden
> gates, that they serve no purpose and express no boundary is, well,
> silly.

... me and Grey are saying that there is no garden gate there anymore,
(more precisely, that its existence has been completely hidden from the
typical user) and there's every reason to think it'll go the same way
for fonts.

zw