From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:38:16 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Dave Singer wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to try to summarize what I think I am hearing.  I don't
>> necessarily agree or disagree with what this, you understand, I am
>> trying to get clarity in at least my own mind.
>>
>> On the 'serving' side, we are looking for an indication in the font
>> that
>> shows whether it's freely usable or not.
>
> It's unclear that we should be looking for this, unless knowing this
> solves a user or Web developer problem. Does it?

[remaining clear that this is merely a summary of what I think I read,
not a proposal]

I think it's that we have to admit that both restricted-use and free
fonts may exist, and those making restricted-use fonts want there to be
some indications and support for the restrictions, and those
making/using free fonts think that there should not be such indications
or tech. support for (non-existent) restrictions.