	From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
	Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 5:47 PM
	To: David Woolley
	Cc: www-style@w3.org
	Subject: Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise
proposal

	On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM, David Woolley
<forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:

		Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

			   <VL>
			   This is exactly the point! The fact that the
compression algorithm
			   is patent-protected makes no difference for
any applications
			   (browsers, web tools, you name it) that
implement W3C Recommendation
			   - it's been offered on W3C RF terms. OSes
will never see compressed

		It prevents the use of GPLed (V2, at least) code in
those browsers, as
		GPLed code must be licenced for all uses, not just for
web browser use;
		the only let out in GPL is that you can restrict
distribution to
		countries that don't enforce the patent royalties.

	This is correct. We (Mozilla) could not accept field-of-use
restrictions.

	Rob
	--

	"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our
iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by