From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:14:54 +0000
To: "Philip TAYLOR" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Hi Phil!

2008/11/10 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>:

> I want to see the tradition of high-quality type design carried on,
> and if this can be accomplished only through the use of DRM,
> then that is a price that I for one am willing to pay.

It is a controversial claim indeed that the tradition of high-quality
type design can only be carried on with DRM fonts.

No one should not accept that as an unexamined assumption, which it
often passes for in this topic.

I personally don't believe it is true at all, and plenty of other web
designers have voiced this opinion. Here's just one example:

"As a designer, I can only speak for myself to say that if OTF and TTF
were supported, regardless of how easy it was to steal the file, I
would still pay as required by the EULA. I have a strong feeling the
vast majority of my colleagues feel exactly the same."
- http://jontangerine.com/log/2008/10/font-face-in-ie-making-web-fonts-work

--
Regards,
Dave