RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

On Monday, November 10, 2008 10:53 AM Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Philip TAYLOR:
>
>  > As Vladimir said in his second message "I am not proposing
> to  > forbid linking to raw TrueType fonts, in some
> circumstances (e.g.
>  > when raw font has "installable embedding" allowed)."
>
> I think this view is shared by all; noone has asked for
> TTF-linking to be banned. However, if obfuscated-TTFs are
> supported by all browsers and inclear-TTFs are only supported
> by a subset of browsers, obfusction is likely to be used for
> all font files. This is not good.

I suspect that the same statement, made using different (and more descriptive) words, would paint a different picture:

"If compressed fonts are supported by all browsers and uncompressed fonts are only supported by a subset of browsers, compression is likely to be used for all font files."

May I ask you - why "this is not good"? Is there a single use case when reducing storage size for fonts, or lowering bandwidth requirements, or making your web page load faster is not a benefit?

Thank you,
Vladimir