Re: [CSS21] Spaces, non-breaking spaces, ideographic spaces and the word-spacing property

Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> As there are more types of spaces than defined in CSS 2.1 [1], some of which
> CSS3 Text expands on [2], the proposal below could be amended to change:
>
>         #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020), non-breaking space (U+00A0),
>         #  and ideographic space (U+3000) left in the text after the white space
>         #  processing rules have been applied.
>
> ...to the following instead :
>
>         #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020) and non-breaking space (U+00A0),
>         #  left in the text after the white space processing rules have been applied.
>         #  The effect of the property on other space characters is undefined.
>
> [1] http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1359965&displaytype=linkview&lastnode_id=1359965
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-spacing

We really want to disallow word-spacing applying to fixed-width spaces: we
do not want to leave that part undefined.

We could add instead (copying from css3-text):
   The effect of the property on other word-separator characters is undefined.
   However general punctuation, characters with zero advance width (such as
   the zero with space U+200B) and fixed-width spaces (such as U+3000 and U+2000
   through U+200A) are not affected.

~fantasai