RE: [CSS21] Spaces, non-breaking spaces, ideographic spaces and the word-spacing property

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:08:51 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

As there are more types of spaces than defined in CSS 2.1 [1], some of which CSS3 Text expands on [2], the proposal below could be amended to change:

        #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020), non-breaking space (U+00A0),
        #  and ideographic space (U+3000) left in the text after the white space
        #  processing rules have been applied.

...to the following instead :

        #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020) and non-breaking space (U+00A0),
        #  left in the text after the white space processing rules have been applied.
        #  The effect of the property on other space characters is undefined.

[1] http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1359965&displaytype=linkview&lastnode_id=1359965
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-spacing

Then I propose to update the relevant word-spacing [1] prose from :

        #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020), non-breaking space (U+00A0),
        #  and ideographic space (U+3000) left in the text after the white space
        #  processing rules have been applied.

..to :

        #  Word spacing affects each space (U+0020) and non-breaking space (U+00A0),
        #  left in the text after the white space processing rules have been applied.
        #  The ideographic space (U+3000) is not affected by word spacing.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-word-spacing

Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> Per CSS 2.1 [1],
>
> "Word spacing affects each space (U+0020), non-breaking space (U+00A0), and ideographic space (U+3000) left in the text after the white space processing rules have been applied."
>
> The simple test case below shows current implementations disagreeing on which type of space word-spacing applies to. I just want to confirm the property does apply to all three spaces.
>
> <!doctype html>
> <head>
>         div { word-spacing: 100px; }
> </head>
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-word-spacing

I'm quite certain it should affect NBSP. NBSP should behave
exactly as SP except for its line-breaking effects.

Based on Ambrose's reaction, we may need to re-evaluate whether
it applies to IDEOGRAPHIC SPACE.

~fantasai