Re: [CSS2.1] Clarification on section 4.1.3 and the application of escaped newlines to identifiers.

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Justin Rogers wrote:
> > G Talbot has a test case that implies the following CSS identifier
> > be reconstituted by throwing out the escaped newline.
> >
> > DIV { background-color: gre\
> > en; }
> >
> > However, there is nothing in the wording of the specification that
> > implies this is true, though other browsers are clearly accepting
> > this. Below the spec  says 1) inside of a string, which we are not.
> > 2) cancels the meaning of special characters, which it is not, 3)
> > allows for inserting Unicode characters, which it again is not.
>
> The newline is a special character. It normally ends an identifier.
> If it is escaped, then it forms part of the identifier. In this case,
> that example should parse equivalent to
>
> DIV { background-color: gre\00000Aen; }

Gecko will be easy to change, but I'm not seeing other browsers do what
you say they ought to do.  The attached test case uses the construct

#iden\
tifier { background-color: lime; }

 -- Firefox 3 applies this rule to an element whose ID attribute is
    "identifier".
 -- IE 7 does the same.  I don't have convenient access to 6 or 8.
 -- Opera 9.52 treats this as a parse error.

zw