Re: [CSS2.1] Clarification on section 4.1.3 and the application of escaped newlines to identifiers.

Justin Rogers wrote:
> G Talbot has a test case that implies the following CSS identifier be
> reconstituted by throwing out the escaped newline.
>
> DIV { background-color: gre\
> en; }
>
> However, there is nothing in the wording of the specification that
> implies this is true, though other browsers are clearly accepting this.
> Below the spec  says 1) inside of a string, which we are not. 2) cancels
> the meaning of special characters, which it is not, 3) allows for
> inserting Unicode characters, which it again is not.

The newline is a special character. It normally ends an identifier.
If it is escaped, then it forms part of the identifier. In this case,
that example should parse equivalent to

DIV { background-color: gre\00000Aen; }

~fantasai