Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

On May 12, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> Here is my mockup:
>
> http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/Shadows.html

One thing that bugs me about this rendering of spread is the implicit
use of round joins on the stroke instead of miter joins when cast is
set to outside.

My understanding of spread is that basically you take a shape (e.g., a
glyph for text-shadow, a box for box-shadow) and you combine the
filled glyph shape with a stroke of the shape that extends outside the
fill by an amount equal to the spread.  The composed shape (fill
+stroke) can then have its shadow rendered offset by the spread to
achieve the renderings you are showing.

However when cast is outside you seem to be making assumptions about
the line joins used by the stroke.  In particular instead of a miter
join, you are using round joins.  My question is, is this
intentional?  It seems especially odd to use round joins for box-
shadow to me, when the box itself could actually have specified a
"rounding join" of its own via a border-radius (at which point I would
expect the spread to simply follow the curve of the border-radius).

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)