Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:28:20 +1000
To: Henrik Hansen <henrikb4@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Henrik Hansen wrote:

> 'shadow-mask' should be obvious. If the shadow is under the object it's not
> drawn there.

We already have transparent backgrounds (hsla color or an image like a
png). When the background has no transparency the background is
considered opaque and this will cast no box-shadow under the box casting
the shadow.

> The 'color' value makes the shadow transmit all colors, so instead of a
> black shadow it's a colorful shadow. Opacity is ignored!
> 'opacity' makes the UA ignore colors. Opacity makes the shadow more bright.

Your talking about transparency here and deciding to make the shadow
show brighter, darker or more colorful depending on the background of
the element painted behind the box casting the shadow (by it's source
and stacking order).

> On another topic: What could we use multiple shadows for? It can be hacked
> to make a glow, but wouldn't it be more "correct" to make a 'glow' property?

Glow can be emulated (in Safari 3).

http://css-class.com/test/css/shadows/box-shadow-blur-dark-neon.htm

An multiple backgrounds with various colors mingling (in Safari 3).

http://css-class.com/test/css/shadows/text-shadow-over-elements1.htm

Welcome to the list Henrik. ;-)

Alan