Re: [css3-background] proposed box-shadow syntax

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 12:23:39 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
CC: Eli Morris-Heft <dai@doublefishstudios.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On May 10, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>> box-shadow: 6px 6px 6px green;  /* 6px blur, not supporting spread */
>>> box-shadow: 6px 6px 2px green; /* two pixel blur and spread */
> Oh yeah, and...
> Neither one of those 2 examples would show any spread. The third
> measurement would always be blur. Spread would be the fourth, which you
> don't have there. So I don't know why you would want two different blur
> values based on spread support, if you are not specifying spread.

I was seeing that for the implementation that supported spread I would
serve up a second shadow showing greater blur. So in my CSS I would have.

box-shadow: 6px green;
box-shadow: 6px 6px 2px green, 8px 8px 10px blue;

> It looks like you are saying that the 2px would be used for both blur
> and spread, but that is not what I proposed. If no spread is specified,
> then it would default to zero, and look the same as with the current spec.

Now I know that my CSS wouldn't work since the spread would be '0'

I getting confused since I can find this from the 3rd Dec 2007.

Which has only 'background-shadow' and 'border-shadow' and the latest
from the 4th Apr 2008.

Which only has box-shadow??????

So part of my argument is based on shifting ground. :-/

I add two extra text cases on what is currently implemented by webkit.

and one that shows a glows.

This makes me realize that a shadows happens in the day (plenty of
light) and a glow happens at night like the light from a neon sign. Both
achieved with the box-shadow property, but the later has no light to
case any shadows. A bit weird. :-)

I will get back to you regarding the spread value. Do you mean a shadow
that become larger or smaller?

I will provide a random link.

I very interested in the darker parts of the shadow (umbra) which show
depth of field.

This is seen with a telegraph/electricity pole.