Re: CSS WG - Pulling Back the Curtains

Garrett Smith wrote:
> It is easy to ignore a mail message. It is not easy to ignore failing
> tests.

I think you're preaching to the choir here...  Everyone would love more
tests.

>>  (In this particular case, it doesn't work because 'margin' is a
>>  shorthand property.  While 'margin' is doable, shorthands aren't
>>  doable in general, and a rule that they all just don't work here has
>>  some advantages.)
>>

> It's possible. Return either one or four values.

Like David said, 'margin' is doable.  Other shorthands are not: there is
no way to write a shorthand that will correctly represent the computed
longhand property values.  Shorthands sometimes move from the "doable"
category to the "can't do it" category (there are several CSS3 proposals
that do just that, due to aiming to keep backwards compat).  How do you
propose this be handled in the CSSOM?

 > It's that simple.

   For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,
   neat, and wrong.
     -- H. L. Mencken

 > It would also avoid problems like "auto", which to me, is a useless value

Of course the computed value _is_ "auto" a lot of the time...

What you presumably want here is the used value.  Again, I think there
is general agreement that this would be useful to have.  The question is
who is willing to pony up the time (== money, if you want the member
organizations to be doing it) to do it?  So far, none of the paying
members seem to be willing to invest money in this, for whatever reason.

-Boris