RE: CSS2.1 9.4.1 Block formatting context (was CSS WG - Pulling Back the Curtains)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:37:26 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
cc: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:

> On Friday 2008-03-28 03:54 -0700, Alan Gresley wrote:
> > Seeing that I didn't get one challenge from my latest list
> > message. I am either correct or what I said was totally
> > irrelevant. But having no indication either way I can not be in
> > any possition to know.
>
> Are you referring to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0337.html ?
> It's much better to include a URL to things you cite (spending the
> minute or so of work to find them yourself) rather than making every
> reader of your message do that work (costing potentially hours of
> total time, although probably most people just won't bother to
> figure out what you're talking about and will just skip the message).

Yes I agree but I did link to this last week originally.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jan/0265.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jan/0268.html

> If that's what you're referring to -- I find the message unclear
> since it jumps from topic to topic without saying how they're
> related.

Only related in my frustration. Many other things which I had in draft form I just gave up on writing. So you could say that many thing disconnected came out in the same email like my off-list messages from Boris.

> (A
> number of the message simply point to tests and assume that it's
> obvious to the reader what the test is testing, which generally
> takes at least a few minutes to figure out.[...]
>
> -David
>
> --
> L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
> Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/

Would you like to go through one test case at a time. It just hard sometimes since I have to point to many specs sometimes just concerning one test case. The major spec in question is this.

9.4.1 Block formatting contexts

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting

If your interested I can go through all my old draft messages and construct a logical message with my concerns (unless not obvious in the more recent messages concerning this spec).

Alan