Re: [CSS21] [css3-text] Text decoration behavior

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:53:05 -0800
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
CC: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Steve Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
>> However, both of these improvements seem like edge cases, and I'm not sure they're worth the
>> complexity.  How often do these cases really come up?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#lining-striking-props
> Third paragraph.
> There is concern that the description is very detailed and prescriptive.
> I believe our desire is to have the best typography possible. There could
> be some interpretation about what is "good typography" For example, some
> might say that line-through should be done at the most readable location
> across the text. Reading the current specification would seem to indicate
> that the strike through would be across the middle of the line and miss
>  striking out superscript or subscript text.

The spec prescribes that the strike-through must be a single line, not
multiple lines. The vertical position of the line may vary by UA, but
I strongly disagree that the number of lines should vary by UA.

I'm fine with clarifying the text here. I'm opposed to changing the
requirements or the expected results.