Re: [CSS3-selectors] ::selection pseudo

fantasai wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> About ::selection pseudo, in particular "Applies to the portion of a
>> document that has been highlighted by the user." [1]
>>
>> Is it selector that defines some global object or is it supposed to be
>> applied to particular elements too?
>>
>> If later then what are the cascading/inheritance rules?
>>
>> Let's say we have some <richtext> or just <div contenteditbale> on the
>> page.
>> Then what would mean the following?:
>>
>> richtext::selection
>> {
>>  background-color: highlight;
>>  color: highlight-text;
>> }
>>
>> And how it will interact with say:
>>
>> richtext p::selection
>> {
>>  color: white;
>> }
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Will p::selection pseudo-element inherit background-color: highlight;
>> value or not? It appears that ::selection elements shall establish their
>> own inheritance chain so p::selection pseudo will inherit *all*
>> attributes
>> of any ::selection object defined upstream.
>>
>> I think that styleable ::selection in principle is a good thing,
>> just want to clarify how it can be used/implemented.
>
> Added to the issues list.. See also
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Jan/0091.html

Thanks for adding it to the issues list :)

About that link, what exactly from it is applicable for the ::selection?
"pseudo-element is badly underspecified" ?

I propose to add something like this:

::selection pseudo-element inherits *all* attributes from
the ::selection pseudo-element of nearest parent element that
has defined ::selection. If there is no such element
then ::selection inherits default values provided by UA.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com