z-ordering of column-rules

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:14:43 +1200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column4. The spec says nothing about
the z-order of column-rules relative to other rendered items. It needs to,
in terms of http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/zindex.html.

For a columns element that is also a stacking context, Webkit apparently
paints them in step 4 or later, e.g. above negative-zindex children of the
columns element. My preference is for the rules to be painted as part of the
background of the columns element, just above the actual background ---
i.e., for a columns element that is also a stacking context, at the end of
step 2. This seems a bit more logical to me. Anyway, the spec needs
clarification one way or another.

Rob
53:5-6]