Re: [CSS21] Addition of 2 values to the visibility property

On Jun 28, 2008, at 1:58 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> The truth is, I don't use FIR technics all that much myself (just a
> couple times), but I am familiar with them and have followed the
> techniques with some interest, and was trying to anticipate whether
> the content property would be enough. It certainly does seem a
> promising alternative to current techniques.
>
> I would like to know the thoughts are of people who actually do a
> lot of this sort of thing, or who have invented new techniques based
> on perceived problems with existing techniques. It seems like
> content property could work, but I don't know what all of the
> ramifications might be.

I don't use those FIR method myself all that much, although I've
helped debug some of the existing methods. But based on use cases
(either found through casual surfing, or via questions raised on
mailing lists such as CSS-D), I'd say: the content property would
cover most of them.
Basically, what people are looking for is replace the text-string in
an element with an image, because they want to use a specific font or
some effects on the text and other such graphical tricks.

@font-face will also help solving this problem in more sane ways.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh