Re: issue with url() in CSS 2.1 grammar

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:40:35 +0200
To: "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:25:36 +0200, Daniel Glazman
> The problem is that a URL is not supposed to be zero-length...

There is nothing wrong with a zero-length URL.

You can write <a href=""> quite validly (I have even done it).

Not that I can think of a use for url() in CSS (though maybe with content
negotiation it could be meaningful); but my experience with designing
langauges in the past has made me adopt a maxim: Just because I can't
think of a use for something now isn't a priori a reason to disallow it.
(Since things that have been disallowed in the past have turned out to be
needed later on; @id on all elements is an example that springs
immediately to mind).

Best wishes,

Steven