Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

Francois Remy wrote:

> My first idea was to implements constants, too.
> But I think that it's good to have an "edit" feature so we can write
> more complex code in the future.
>
> Currently, this is not the main idea to allow CSS! or another thing
> that can have benefits of variables.
> But if we'll implements these (of others things we don't have thoug
> before) in the future,
> we should implements variables now so we are sure that all is possible
> in the future.
>
> It's also a benefits for JavaScript developers.

JavaScript is already capable to change styles. You already can do:

for-each$( td.something ).style.background-color = "red";

in one form or another. I see no principal difference of defining the
same statement
as  document.styles.variables.setValue( "name", "red" );

So is the question: why do you need exactly variables? Who and when is
supposed to mutate them?

> Fremy
>
> ========================================================|
> |    PS : |
> |    BTW, I don't like CSS! because CSS is for styling not for
> scripting. |
> |    Javascript/XMLScript is here for scripting |
CSS, in particular selectors,  has limitations that cannot be solved
in terms of static system of declarations. For example following
declaration:

a.master
{
    hover-on!:  $(a.dependent):hover = true;
    hover-on!:  $(a.dependent):hover = false;
}

will cause highlighting of all a.dependent elements in the document when
you move
mouse over the a.master element. It is simply not feasible to define
this in terms of system of
static CSS rules.

Like we it or do not this will be there anyway. In one form or another.
And yet CSSS! is the only thing so far that gives some sense to CSS vars.
At least I cannot see why mutable CSS vars are needed. Constants - yes -
quite useful.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com