Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

On Jun 24, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach David Hyatt:
>
>>> Still, it may be simpler and better not to allow any such crossing.
>>> Take for instance this example:
>>>
>>> style sheet 1: @variable { X: 10px }
>>> style sheet 2: @variable { X: none }
>>> style sheet 3: div { width: var(X) }
>>>
>>> Style sheet numbering is in document order. If the
>>> fininshed-loading-order is: 3, 1, 2, the width declaration would
>>> first
>>> be invalid ("The declaration becomes invalid if the variable does
>>> not
>>> exist") then valid with 10px, and then invalid again when X is none.
>>
>> In WebKit at least, the parsing of the declaration with the variable
>> call is delayed until all stylesheets have been loaded (we don't show
>> any content in WebKit while stylesheets are still loading).
>
> Ok, so you don't see the problem outlined above. Opera supports
> progressive rendering of content as style sheets are loaded so for us
> the problem is real.
>
> Progessive rendering of content is a long-established concept in CSS
> and I don't think the benefit of variables outweight the cost of
> breaking progressive rendering.

Your above situation is analogous to the following:

style sheet 1: div.someclass { width: 30px; }
style sheet 2: div#someid { width: 10px; }
style sheet 3: div { width: 20px; }

If you render after stylesheet 3 has loaded but not 1 or 2, you will
misrender.

So I believe CSS Variables don't introduce any new hazards to
rendering after only some stylesheets are loaded. Even without them
you can get a flash of unstyled content if you don't wait.

Regards,
Maciej