Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:49:39 +0200
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach David Hyatt:

 > >> In WebKit at least, the parsing of the declaration with the variable
 > >> call is delayed until all stylesheets have been loaded (we don't show
 > >> any content in WebKit while stylesheets are still loading).
 > >
 > > Ok, so you don't see the problem outlined above. Opera supports
 > > progressive rendering of content as style sheets are loaded so for us
 > > the problem is real.
 > >
 > > Progessive rendering of content is a long-established concept in CSS
 > > and I don't think the benefit of variables outweight the cost of
 > > breaking progressive rendering.
 >
 > I didn't say CSS variables broke progressive rendering.  They don't.

It breaks, or at least deteriorates, one kind of progressive
rendering: the display of documents as style sheets are loaded. I
understand that WebKit doesn't have this problem as you wait until all
style sheets are loaded (isn't there a timeout?). For browsers that
support this kind of progressive rendering, the proposal will have
adverse effects.

I still think variables could be a good idea, though -- just not
global variables.

-h&kon