Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

From: Pascal Germroth <pascal@germroth.name>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:12:57 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Hello,

>> I'd prefer to throw away invalid declarations at parse time, and not
>> have to keep them around. Therefore, I suggest that we add text
>> similar to the @namespace specification:
>>
>>   The namespace prefix is declared only within the style sheet in
>>   which its @namespace rule appears. It is not declared in any style
>>   sheets importing or imported by that style sheet, nor in any other
>>   style sheets applying to the document.
>
> I see your point but I strongly disagree. The main purpose of CSS
> Variables for a corporation is unicity of design for all corporate
> web sites. That means having a single corporateVars.css somewhere that
> all other stylesheets can import... If you break at @import boundaries,
> the whole thing loses most of its interest.

But the problem of your spec is, that it only allows the
@variables-block to appear before any @imports, so an imported
corporateVars.css would always override any "locally" defined variables,
this might be undesireable. So I suggest that @variables and @imports
should be allowed to appear in any order, so that a stylesheet could
override some imported variables locally.

Also, what happens when A imports B and C, and C uses a variable thats
defined in B?

--
Pascal Germroth