Re: Box-shadow : Why not follow the standardized OpenXML specification ?

On Jun 15, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Francois Remy wrote:

> Thanks for your interesting response.
>
>> Text-shadow and box-shadow are quite similar i both function and
>> syntax. We've already discussed how we could improve the
>> functionality
>> of box-shadow, but of course new features are welcome.
>
> I think OOXML is not adding a lot of features to your model.
>
> But it should be great that you have a look to it. Not for follow
> it at 100%, but to be sure that all things that are possible with
> this specification is also possible with yours too.

 From what you have sent, I don't see much that OOMXL adds to what has
already been proposed, other than incompatibility with what has
already been agreed upon and/or implemented.

Inner Shadow: Because it is so similar to box-shadow, and because it
is a type of box shadow, most would probably agree that it is better
to add this as a key word to box-shadow (or a sub-property of a box-
shadow-as-shorthand), than to create its own new property that
replicates most of what is already present in the box-shadow draft.

- Blur Radius: already part of box-shadow and text-shadow
- Direction: many CSS properties use X and Y offsets rather than
direction and distance, for more predictable results.
Box-shadow and text-shadow follow in that established practice already
- Strength: Does that mean distance? See above, for less confusing
nomenclature.
- Color: already part of box-shadow and text-shadow

The next four do not seem useful for creating drop shadows. Skew (and
to some extent, scale) would only seem useful for cast shadows, not
drop shadows.  Scale might sometimes be useful for drop shadows, but I
don't imagine a large demand for it. Shadow Origin is not needed when
you are already using X and Y offsets instead of direction and
distance. Rotation of a shadow independent of its object would rarely,
if ever, be used.

- Scale Factor (sX, sY)
- Skew Factor (kX, kY)
- Shadow Origin (oX, oY) = (0; 0)