Re: [css3-mediaqueries] clarification of text for (feature)

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:49:44 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:

> [Re: 5th June 2008 Editor's draft]
>
> From section 4, I believe that the media query "(min-width)" should match
> if the view port/page box is not zero width since, effectively, a
> valueless query is implicitly "not equal to zero".
>
> Would it be possible to simplify the sentences that describe this in the
> third bullet point of section 4, as I usually fail to parse it when I read
> it, specifically the sentence "If feature accepts the zero value x cannot
> be zero".  I'd like to drop that sentence and amend the previous sentence
> by replacing "a value x" giving:
>
> "For media feature, _feature_, (_feature_) will evaluate to true if
> (_feature_:x) will evaluate to true for any value of x other than zero."

On reflection, I chose a bad example as I was mixing up two issues: the
first being that the wording is a little opaque in the penultimate sentence;
the second being the meaning of (min-width).  Sorry for that.

When the specification says "Media features that are min/max prefixed are
treated in an identical way", what does that actually mean - identical to
what?  The feature without the min/max prefix?  Is it saying that both
"(min-width)" and "(max-width)" are identical to just "(width)"?

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer