Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Width/Height Clarifications

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 2008-06-09 09:20 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> MQs are intended to be used in @media and @import statements.
>> Currently these statements are parse time constructions as
>> clearly stated in CSS 2.1 spec.
>>

> Where in CSS 2.1 does it say that the contents of @media or @import
> with non-matching media lists are ignored at parse time?  If it
> does say that, it's a bug in the spec.
>
> It's certainly not how we've ever implemented them.  We don't need
> to reload style sheets when we print.

<quote src="http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#at-import">
   So that user agents *can* avoid retrieving resources for unsupported
media types, authors may
   specify media-dependent @import rules. These *conditional imports*
specify comma-separated
   media types after the URI."
</quote>

That clearly tells me that I can avoid retrieving resources as a whole
if at parse time I've discovered
that media type does not match.

If rules from unsupported media types in @media sections are getting
into the runtime style table
then such rules (selectors in particular) shall have specificity rules
defined with respect of the @media.

I do not know how you have implemented @media parsing currently but
these two sets:
@media screen { p{...} }
@media print { p{...} }
will create rules with the same value of specificity (they will be
different only by
order of selectors in the source).

If to speak about MQs that are parsed into runtime sets then I would
like to know also
exact specificity rules for selectors inside these two sections:

@media min-device-width:800 and max-device-width:1024 { p{...} }
@media device-width: 1000  { p{...} }

What weight have these two 'p' selectors? Are they different only by the
order of rules in
the source or by power of the @media expression too? If only by the
order then how UA
shall react on the event when say device resolution is changed in runtime?

Imagine that condition in some
   @import  device-width: 1000 "only-for-1000.css"

will suddenly become true or false. What should be done in this case?
Shall UA go and retrieve "only-for-1000.css" style sheet?  How then new
selectors will change
current set of rules that are already there? Shall they be appended,
inserted or what?

I mean if @media works as a selector than it has to affect specificity
calculation rules.
So either MQ specification or CSS3-selectors have to be updated with
info of how to do this.

Currently @media or @import constructions behave as pure parse time /
preprocessor alike constructions
similar to #ifdef #endif in C/C++. At least nothing in the spec tells
that @media or @import
have to affect set of rules in runtime.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.