Re: [CSS Variables] WebKit now supports variable declaration blocks

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:35:31 -0700
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>

On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:33 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

> Why can't the core syntax change?  All browsers seem to error
> recover fine.
>
> dave
>
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
>> * David Hyatt wrote:
>>> div {
>>>  background-color: green;
>>>  -webkit-var(complexVariable);
>>>  color: white;
>>> }
>>
>> Allowing such syntax would require changing the core syntax that is
>> not
>> supposed to change, you cannot use '(' before the colon and you
>> have to
>> have a colon there.
>> --
>> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de

I don't have a problem with a change to the core syntax, if it is a
change that makes sense. But if it does matter, we could go with
something more conforming, like this:

div {
   background-color: blue;
   var-group: $complex-variable;
   color:white;
}

Not sure we need the dollar sign there any more though with that.