Re: overflow and list-items

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:52:12 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Jul 29, 2008, at 8:59 PM, fantasai wrote:

> As for the CSS2.1 spec, it simply says
>  # The marker box is outside the principal block box.
> which can reasonably be interpreted in this way as well.
>
> I think displaying the marker makes the most sense from an authoring
> perspective. Treating the marker as the principal block box's child
> and clipping it is neither useful nor intuitive.

I don't think it is intuitive for the outside marker to affect the
height of a line and then not scroll with the line.  Either it is part
of the line or it isn't.   You also haven't addressed the concerns I
raised regarding the stacking order of the marker if it doesn't get
clipped, or the fact that you would be forcing an ordering on the
application of opacity vs. the application of clipping (opacity would
have to be applied first).

I also believe the 'clip' property should be examined for list items
in current browsers to see what happens to the marker there, and that
'clip' and overflow's clip should be consistent.

I see no reason why outside markers should be special cased here.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)