Re: Opera's Proposal for :context Selector

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:37:14 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:07:47 +0200, Joshua Cranmer
> <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote:
>> The solution desired by Andrew (and I) is to simply make <style
>> scoped> only cogniscent of the document fragment wherein it is
>> contained. You've lost sight of the forest for trees, treating
>> Andrew's examples of workarounds and their equivalents for the
>> current status quo as the whole new proposal.
>
> That would fundamentally change the way selectors work.

Beg my pardon, but where and how it changes anything?

Technically there is no difference in
   document.root.querySelector("div a") and
   element.querySelector("div a")

For some <a> element
in the first case you will stop matching when you hit document root
element and
in the second case you will stop on the element itself. What is the
difference?

All libraries like jQuery have implemented this for arbitrary root
elements.
I do have such implementation too so is my question.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com