RE: Additional value for the visibility property

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:02:46 -0700
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "W3C Style List" <www-style@w3.org>

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
| Can we change:
|
| "Conceptually, after the element (including its children) is rendered
| into an RGBA offscreen image, the opacity setting specifies how to blend
| the offscreen rendering into the current composite rendering."

| "Conceptually, after the element (including its *in-flow* children) is
| rendered into an RGBA offscreen image, the opacity setting specifies how
| to blend the offscreen rendering into the current composite rendering."
|
| note *in-flow* there.

This would exclude floats as well as absolute- & fixed-position children.
That does not seem very desirable to me.

| Renders in:
|   FF3 and Safari - div.kid as not transparent.
|   Opera - div.kid as transparent.

I'm assuming you mean "semi-transparent."

I'm also assuming, though it's not clear to me from the text, that opacity
is rendered from innermost outward, so that in this case:

    div.container { opacity: 0.5; }
    div.kid { opacity: 0.5; }

div.kid renders with opacity .25.

David Perrell